Are all apps moving to Containers? Why everyone is talking about it? Are containers the future for applications?
This presentation gives you a briefly introduction on how to deploy an application using containers on a VMware vSphere environment meaning you can run containers side by side your current virtual machines.
vSphere Integrated Containers is built on these major open source products:
1. vSphere Integrated Containers Engine is a container runtime for vSphere that enables the provisioning and management of applications packaged as Docker images into vSphere clusters. With the vSphere Integrated Containers Engine Developers can deploy container images alongside traditional workloads on vSphere clusters. The vSphere Integrated Containers engine gives developers the agility and speed they need, while allowing operations to reuse the tools, processes and people they have already invested in.
2. Harbor is an enterprise-class private container registry that stores and distributes container images. It extends the Docker Distribution open source project by adding the functionalities that enterprises require, such as security, auditing and identity management.
3. Admiral is a container management portal. It provides a GUI for DevOps teams to provision and manage containers, and includes the ability to obtain statistics and information about container instances. It provides both Docker compose and a proprietary application definition through templating to combine different containers into an application. It also supports containers scaling in and out. Advanced capabilities, such as approval workflows, are available when integrated with vRealize Automation.
4. Photon OS is a minimal Linux container host, optimized to run on VMware platforms. It is used throughout the vSphere Integrated Containers product wherever a Linux guest kernel is required
Benefits of VIC
- Improve security by isolating container in VMs.
- Data integrity with Encryption.
- Legacy Apps thrive in a Container.
- Provide flexibility to run your container anywhere.
As a final word, we power on datacentre to run applications and applications runs business. Improving the way we manage and deploy applications is a game changer in the industry. It means that in a matter of time more and more applications will run in containers and this is the future